Netgear Router Setup Wizard Guide
Configure Netgear Router IP address, Router settings, Access Point, Wireless name & Wireless password using www.routerlogin.net
How to configure your NETGEAR router for initial cable internet connection and setup
This article will help you to understand the various steps involved during the initial setup process using a wired connection.
- An Ethernet cable for the connections.
- A working internet connection.
- A desktop computer, laptop or a smartphone.
To configure your Netgear router for cable internet connection, follow the steps:
- Connect the Ethernet cable provided with the router from the modem to the WAN port of the router.
- Connect another Ethernet cable from the computer to the internet port of the router.
- Switch the router, the desktop computer/laptop and the cable modem off and then on again. Wait for them to finish booting up.
- In an internet browser, type the default IP address for the router in the address bar. The default IP address can be either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
Alternatively, the user can also type routerlogin.net in the address bar as well to access the web based admin login page.
- You will be prompted to login to the router.
- The default username is admin and the default password is password.
- The username and password are case sensitive.
- The Setup Wizard will appear.
- The Setup Wizard will try to detect the type of internet connection that the user has. Click Yes when prompted.
- The Setup Wizard will detect the connection as Dynamic IP for all cable connections.
- Click Next to save the settings.
The Netgear router will have been setup using a cable internet connection.
To configure your Netgear router to access www.routerlogin.com and www.routerlogin.net admin login, follow the steps:
- First, ensure that you are using the correct web address to login to the router.
Web address: routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net
- Enter any one of the aforementioned web address in any internet browser.
- The user can also try logging in using the default IP addresses for their Netgear router.
IP address: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
- Enter the default username and password when prompted.
- User Name : admin
- Password : password
- The user will have logged in successfully.
- If the default information is rejected by the admin login page, try entering any personalized passwords.
If that fails too, try to reset the router.
Once the user has logged in, the user can further configure their network.
To reset the router using the router’s web interface, follow the steps:
When you face any issues with the router, performing a reboot of the router may help with the issues. Follow the steps to reset the Netgear router:
- Open an internet browser and type either routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com in the address bar.
- You are prompted to enter the default information in the fields.
User Name : admin
Password : password
If the password was previously changed, enter that password.
- The Netgear Genie will display.
- Click the Advanced option.
- Under the router information tab, click the Reboot option to reset the router back to its factory default settings.
- The reset process takes about two minutes to finish.
- Do not unplug the router from its power source during the reset as it can damage the router.
To Update the firmware for the Netgear router, follow the steps:
- Open any internet browser and type routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com in the address bar.
- You will be asked to enter the default information regarding the router.
- The username is admin and the password is password. They will be case sensitive.
- Select ADVANCED option.
- Now, select the Firmware Update option.
- Click the Router Update or Firmware Update option.
- Click Check button.
- The router will now look for a firmware update and ask to install if any is available.
- Click Yes to begin.
- The router will then begin updating the firmware for the Netgear router.
- Once the router has finished updating, the router will reboot itself.
- Do not unplug the router from its power source as it can damage the firmware of the router.
To change the username and password for the Netgear router, follow the steps:
The Netgear routers are configured with the factory default settings initially. To improve the security on the network, change the default username and password.
- Launch a web browser and type routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com in the address bar.
Alternatively, you can type the default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 as well.
- The login window will display.
- Enter the default username and password.
- User Name : admin
Password : password
- The Basic Home Page will display.
- Select the ADVANCED option.
- Select Administration. Enter the new username in the Network Name (SSID) field.
- Enter the new password in the Network Key (passphrase) field.
- Click the Apply button.
- The changes will now be saved.